Changes to the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, effective January 1, 2016 include:
- Prohibition on the sale of flavoured tobacco products, with some exemptions for wine, port, whisky and rum flavoured cigars between 1.4 and 6 grams, all flavoured cigars over 6 grams and flavoured pipe tobacco.
- A temporary exemption for menthol and clove flavoured tobacco products is in place until January 1, 2017;
- Doubling the maximum fines for those who sell tobacco to youth;
- Strengthening the enforcement authority to address indoor use of tobacco in water pipe bars and restaurants;
- Expansion of the seizure authority of inspectors; and
- Prohibition of smoking on outdoor grounds of hospitals, psychiatric facilities and the outdoor grounds of specified office buildings owned by the Province, except in designated smoking areas