Acceptable storage units
Ensure products containing tobacco are only visible and accessible to employees.
Examples of acceptable storage units include:
- Overhead containers
- Below-the-counter drawers or cabinets
- Single package dispensing, gravity-fed devices
- Slim drawers that open in sections and expose only the spine of cigarette packages
- On the counter and rotating boxes
- Retrofit devices that cover shelves with a top-hinge “flip up” cover that close automatically
- These “flip up” covers must not be larger than 30.5 cm ( 1 foot) in height by 61 cm (2 feet) in length
- Must open one at a time
Small tags are permitted on the outside of the storage unit in order to help the employee locate products that contain tobacco.
The tags must:
- Use black type on a white background
- Use letters up to 14 point font size
- Not use logos or colour
- Not be larger than 2″ x 1″ (5 cm x 2.5 cm)
- Not include price information
- Allows customers to view tobacco poducts
- Allows customers to handle tobacco products.
- Garage door style covers which open to display the whole or large portion of the stock of tobacco products
- Large cupboard doors which open to display the whole or large portion of the stock of tobacco products
- Horizontal sliding doors such as closet doors
- Curtains or blinds
Retrofit devices that cover shelves with a bottom hinge “flip down” cover that does not close automatically and would remain open unless lifted back into a closed position.